Thursday, September 9, 2021

Is a child-friendly library possible? ЁЯШР YES! ЁЯШК

As a kid I used to visit district library in Kanchipuram with my father. He was fond of Tamil fiction and I would just see around not knowing what to pick. Sometimes my father helped, rarely the librarian (because only rarely I sought his help) and many a times I found myself lost there. Do I have to read dailies or comics or real big ones or the smallest book of all? I did not know then!!! Mobile libraries gave me the same feel at that age but was fun to see books moving around my neighbourhood!

                            Courtesy: WEF

In my experience, physical structure of the library was not attractive at all in the first place. The reading space was neither airy or broad. It took a while (read as many years) to realize that "what is important in a library is the books and not these spatial items." Secondly, I was never taught how to approach a library. When I say how to approach, I do not mean that libraries are places to be approached in a defined professional way. Being an amateur in browsing will land us in real good books sometimes. But I haven't been taught anything at all about a library tour. The library that was existing in my school was never opened for students. I am sure none of you would be shocked to know that as this is common in our schools - be it government, aided or private. In colleges & universities, we would be taught (at least I was taught) to visit library as buying recommended subject books would be highly unaffordable to many of us (me). 

                           Source: Tamil Nadu Foundation

To mention a few libraries that I frequently visited, the infamous Connemara library surprised me with the number of books and the fact that it is a National Depository Library (meaning a copy of anything published in India is received here by default). Isn't this an awesome thing!!!!! Then the British Council Library in Chennai that is purely posh and I had always felt inferior to go as it seemed to be a 7-star hotel where I would never fit in by any means. I could not recall any relevant literature I had borrowed as I had never felt at home there. Oh then the only library in Tamil Nadu with the highest level of security, the American Library in Chennai situated in the consulate campus. To enter is a challenge in itself as you need to pass through several levels of security checks that might frustrate you. Yet, books/articles we get there are worth taking the effort. But I was exposed to all these places and many more only for the sake of research and I do not remember spending hours together in any of them for general reading. In fact, not having memories of long hours in library is something to be ashamed of. By the time most of us understand that library is a treasure filled with magic for life, we would be typical adults for whom unlearning and relearning become difficult.

Having known this secret the next typical thought of an adult is to introduce their kids to library at an young age. Well, I tried doing the same with my daughter. The first visit to a district library was a disaster as we (mom & dad) wanted to get out of the place ourselves. Some reasons include suffocation and poor lighting. Even after fulfilling these basic necessities including toilets, I do not think it is possible to retain kids there even for a while. On wondering what kind of libraries would pull kids in, google showed me some model children libraries across the world. Presenting their images here:











The above pictures show enhanced physical features of libraries for children. The outward appearance is the very first attraction for kids, no matter what we boast of the proverb "Don't judge a book by its cover.' One cannot make a child understand (or there is no need to teach them) that libraries are meant for reading and not playing. To make a child enter and sit/roam around for a while is the biggest challenge and if such uniquely designed structures could do the task, it has to be done immaterial of investment. 

Though the Anna Centenary Library in Tamil Nadu's capital city has a good children section, it is nothing but a baby step. As children are fond of playing and only playing, children section of libraries need to be playful, attractive and interactive enough to pull them inside. It is said that the job well begun is half done! The reading part will take care of itself once children hang around and love hanging around in a library of their kind.  Below are pictures of library existing in our state. There are not many of this kind, unfortunately.



Be it a school or a public library, minimum requirements or tiny changes that will not cost much include keeping libraries open, an independent children section, bright coloured walls, accessible & low-lying book shelves, few play items, colourful books, enough air and light, kutty kutty incentives, child-friendly furniture/space to sit/lie down, freedom to act on their own and a child enthusiast (you call them a librarian, no problem). 

If you google, you will find a handful of unique libraries in the world doing innovative things such as paying kids for books they read, delivering books using exciting modes of transport, etc. It is okay if we could do nothing unique or innovative of that sorts but we cannot shy away from the duty of bringing kids to libraries. To depend on government is the reliable path to get things revamped. Yet seeking help from stakeholders would prove fruitful for both schools and public libraries as many stakeholders are willing to work in unison. 

P.S.: Yep, I have not told anything about having one at home because It is too personal to intrude into! ЁЯШД

8 comments: