Friday, April 3, 2020

Art and Hypocrisy

To me,
 
Maniratnam is romantic;
Bala is raw and dark;
Shankar is stylish;
Mysskin is violent, yet humane;
Samuthirakani is idealistic;
Vasanth is gentle and caring towards women;
Karthik Subburaj is unique;
CS Amudhan is humorous.

The
List
Goes
On…

This is just my perception of the personalities depending on their movies I have watched so far (many of you would have developed similar perceptions).

In this connection, my idea of the legendary director (late) K. Balachander is that he is progressive (ahead of his times) and a hard core feminist. His films were women-centric and empowering, by having created real BOLD, CHARISMATIC and ASSERTIVE women to shoulder his scripts. It is quite natural for anyone like me to, therefore, look up to him as a real fighter for women rights!

Cut to a recent interview of a yesteryear actress Rekha (one of the lead characters in K.Balachander’s superhit Tamil movie, Punnagai Mannan). She has now revealed that her consent was not sought for the popular lip lock scene in the above mentioned movie with actor Kamalhaasan. Importantly, she was a minor then. What a trauma it would have been for the girl!

At the least, it is not sure if her parents/guardians gave their consent on her behalf, and whether the popular and influential male actor involved was aware of this scenario. Whatever be the case, not having sought the consent is (on the belief that her statement is true) unacceptable and it is highly unexpected from the director who is celebrated for the strong women characters of his films.

What do I write; how do I express; which medium do I prefer; where do I stand; why do/don’t I act: All this depends on who I am and what my thoughts are. My creations are what I am!! 

If that isn’t true, then what do we call it? Hypocrisy!! Who are my film makers, my authors, my artists, my musicians, my teachers, my mentors, etc.? Hypocrites?!?! 

Sorry, the moment you are exposed, you cease to exist in my space!

4 comments:

  1. Beg to differ!

    I seriously doubt whether the director was aware of the scene. I have heard actress urvasi expressing same kind of experience with the same influential actor, and even actress Ambika had stated Kamal was always unpredictable infront of cameras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your opinion mam.. There are all chances that kamal haasan would have done without the director's knowledge.. In that case, as a fan of KB, I feel that he should have censored it as he wouldn't be questioned by his sishya, Kamal.. By having done that, he could have well stood by his ideology.. That is disappointing to me mam.. May be he would have responded to rekha's statement had he been alive now..

      Delete
  2. Hypocrisy is all in the air priya mam...you have beautifully nailed it..those who preach those teach those who campaigns are sometimes the toughest to follow the same.. KB sir is a feminist.. Still....consent mukkiyam la priya mam..good writing ma'am..

    ReplyDelete